The ALTA Guide To Summer Camps
By Cory Sekine-Pettite
We are fortunate to live a region that offers so many options for tennis camps during the summer months. There are day camps, overnight camps, weekend opportunities, week-long events and camps for kids and adults. The opportunities are as varied as the locations – from right here in metro Atlanta, to nearby universities, to the Georgia Coast and over to the Carolina Coast. The only decisions to make are where you want to send your kids, when you’re going to attend a camp yourself and where. Get out there for some tennis fun in the sun!
10 CAMPS FOR A SUMMER OF FUN:
1 ACE Tennis Academy
2 Jekyll Island Tennis Center
3 Manuel Diaz Bulldog Tennis Camp for Boys
4 Nike Tennis Camps
5 Palmetto Dunes Tennis Camps
6 Peter Howell Tennis Camps
7 Rome Tennis Center Summer Tennis Camp at Darlington School, Rome, Georgia
8 Tiger Tennis Camp, Clemson University
9 Universal Tennis Academy Camps 2019
10 Yellow Jacket Tennis Camps
ACE Tennis Academy
ACE Tennis Academy will be holding summer tennis camps at the Fields Club in Peachtree Corners and Medlock Bridge in Johns Creek. Jeff Weaver and his staff have been developing top-ranked juniors since 1994. ACE players have won more than 35 national titles, including 12 Gold Balls (national championships). Camps begin the last week of May and continue through mid-August. For the summer, ACE offers Morning Camps and Full-Day Camps for players of all levels, ages 6 & up. Pre-register for three weeks and receive the fourth week free. Reserve your spot today!
- ACE Camps (pre-competitive players)
- ACE Advanced Camps (competitive players)
- ACE Elite Camps (tournament players only/selection by UTR)
- Morning Camp (Mon-Fri, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) $200/week or $50/day
- Full-Day Camp (Mon-Fri, 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) $325/week or $90/day
- For more information, visit ACETennisAcademy.net, or email kathy@ACETennisAcademy.net.
Jekyll Island Tennis Center
This summer, campers can improve their tennis skills and help develop their personal style of play. Camp sessions are grouped by skill level, and split the day between personalized tennis stroke structure and improvement, and application of these skills in fun games and challenging drills. All camps meet at the Jekyll Island Tennis Center. All tennis camps include 20 hours of instruction, a visit to Summer Waves Water Park during camp, a daily lunch option offered by Larry’s Giant Subs, and one official camp shirt and hat.
- Dates & Age Levels
- June 17-21, 2019: Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. for rising first- to fourth-graders
- July 8-12, 2019: Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., for rising fifth to seventh graders
- Pricing info
- $280 + tax per child
- Additional camp shirts may be purchased separately, and will be available upon camp check-in. A 10-percent discount will be offered for each additional child/sibling.
- For more information, contact Jekyll Island Tennis Center at 912.635.3154, or visit jekyllisland.com/activities/tennis-camp.
Manuel Diaz Bulldog Tennis Camp for Boys
The Georgia Bulldog Tennis Camp is held at the University of Georgia’s Dan Magill Tennis Complex, the same facilities that perennially host the NCAA Tennis Championships. Campers will stay in one of UGA’s air-conditioned dorms and will be provided healthy, well-balanced meals. Coach Manuel Diaz and his staff provide campers with the same championship instruction he utilized to lead the Bulldogs to the 1999, 2001, 2007 and 2008 National Championships.
The Bulldog Tennis Camp will provide instruction for every level of play. For the beginner, basic fundamentals and stroke production will be emphasized. For the intermediate players, refinement of the fundamentals: footwork, grips, strokes and strategy will be stressed. The advanced players will be trained at the same intensity level and similar drills used for the Bulldog college players. Along with match play and conditioning, the emphasis is in challenging the campers regardless of their level of play.
- Ages 9-17, boys only (Ages 10 and over may stay overnight)
- June 16-20, June 23-27, July 14-18
- Residents age 10 by Sept. 1, 2018, $775; Extended Day Campers: (9 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.), $650; Day Campers: (9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.), $575
- For more information, contact Lynn Steedman at 706.542.9348, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nike Tennis Camps
Nike Tennis Camps provide players the opportunity to improve their tennis game, work hard, make new friends, and have a lot of fun. Camps are directed by America’s most respected college coaches and tennis pros who have a passion for teaching and a gift for helping you take your game to the next level. Some camps also offer high school and tournament training programs. Players can look forward to personalized, on-court instruction, programs for every skill level, and improving their game in fantastic tennis venues and overnight accommodations.
- Ages 6-18, co-ed
- For more information, visit ussportscamps.com, or call 800.645.3226.
Palmetto Dunes Tennis Camps
During the Palmetto Dunes Junior Tennis Camps on Hilton Head Island, coaching sessions emphasize stroke production, with a focus on technique, footwork and strategy. Customizable family packages, including accommodations, court time, lessons and clinics, are available. The tennis center has 21 clay tennis courts and 16 pickleball courts. It is ranked the No.1 tennis resort in the Carolinas. Palmetto Dunes also is among the Top 10 best tennis resorts worldwide and has ranked No.4 in the world for junior programs.
- Ages 11-17, co-ed
- March-Labor Day
- $65/day and $60 for 5 or more days
- Monday – Friday 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- For more information, visit palmettodunes.com/net-news, or call 843.785.1152.
Peter Howell Tennis Camps
Tennis Hall of Fame coach Peter Howell returns as the director of this 2018 Best of Atlanta-selected summer camp for the 17th year. Felix Mann, head tennis coach at Sewanee, returns for his 10th year as head instructor. Parents and campers rave about this camp and over 60 percent return year after year. This summer, the camp offers six weeks of fabulous tennis sessions. Its mission is to teach kids to actually PLAY tennis versus just hitting balls, while working hard to hasten the level of advanced players, in a fun environment.
- Co-ed, ages 7-16, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Mon-Fri
- Session I: June 3-7
- Session II: June 10-14
- Session III: June 17-21
- Session IV: June 24–28
- Session V: July 8-12
- Session VI: July 15-19
- Cost: $370 (includes daily lunch and snacks)
- For more information, contact Peter Howell at email@example.com, or 678.644.9263. Register online at peterhowelltenniscamp.com.
Rome Tennis Center Summer Tennis Camp at Darlington School, Rome, Georgia
This summer tennis camp is a partnership between Rome Tennis Center at Berry College (a new, 60-court tennis center) and the beautiful campus of Darlington School. Overnight campers are housed on the GATED Darlington School Campus and enjoy their meals at the Darlington School Café. USPTA Master Professional, Tom Daglis, and his USPTA Elite Professional RTCBC staff, provide a training program that includes: stroke production, drill progressions, strategy & tactics, video analysis and match play skills. Evening program activities also are included. Camp tennis staff are engaged, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable and they believe in a structured but fun environment, where new skills are introduced and current skills are advanced.
- High school- and middle school-aged kids welcome
- June 9-14 (co-ed); July 21-26 (girls’only)
- Overnight Camper – $695; Day Camper – $395 (registration includes a pair of Wilson Performance Tennis Shoes!)
- For more information, visit RomeTenniscenter.com, email Tdaglis@rometenniscenter.com, or call 706.506.0417.
Tiger Tennis Camp, Clemson University
Legendary women’s Head Coach Nancy Harris, along with her pro staff, including junior Grand Slam, All-American and NCAA winners, continues Clemson’s 100-plus years legacy of outstanding junior tennis programming with one of the most innovative co-ed camp experiences in the country. Set against the panorama of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Hoke Sloan Tennis Center’s 21 outdoor and four indoor courts are the perfect setting for campers of all ages and skill levels to engage in drills, on-the-court instruction, match play and classroom sessions customized to their individual play level. Campers are evaluated at the outset of camp and placed in White Camp, Orange Camp and Orange Crush or Top Tiger Skill groups. Top-notch tennis instruction is complemented with fun, off-the-court activities.
Universal Tennis Academy Camps 2019
Universal Tennis Academy is excited to offer summer tennis camps throughout Atlanta. UTA has trained all levels of players, from ALTA champions and NCAA champions to touring professionals in a fun, exciting and educational environment. UTA Tennis camps are offered at the following locations:
- Bitsy Grant Tennis Center
- Blackburn Park Tennis Center
- Briarlake Church
- Chastain Park Tennis Center
- Georgia State University – Dunwoody Campus
- James Creek Tennis Center
- McGhee Tennis Center
- Piedmont Park Tennis Center
- Washington Park Tennis Center
UTA holds summer camp every week of the summer, starting the week of Memorial Day. Both half-day and full-day tennis camps are offered, including a tennis/swim camp at Chastain Park and Piedmont Park, as well as a golf/tennis camp at Bitsy Grant Tennis Center. Camp details include:
- Ages 4-16, co-ed
- May 28-May 31, June 3-7, June 10-14, June 17-21, June 24-28, July 1-3, July 8-12, July 15-19, July 22-26, July 29-Aug. 2, and Aug. 5-9
- For more information, visit utatennis.com, or call 404.497.0680.
Yellow Jacket Tennis Camps
The 2019 Yellow Jacket Tennis Camps at Georgia Tech aim to enhance each camper’s skills through morning instruction and afternoon match play. The camp in midtown Atlanta will stress the importance of sound fundamentals and strategy. Full-day camps and overnight camp are available for boys and girls ages 9-18. A half-day option is available for ages 5-8. A $25 early-bird discount is available through April 31 for full-day and overnight camps.